With Offices in Westport and Greenwich, Connecticut
Connecticut Child Support Lawyer
Call for a Consultation 203-227-7301

What Are My Options For Ending A Connecticut Marriage?

When you are facing the end of a marriage, you are likely wondering what legal options you have available to you. There are several paths you can follow, such as:

  • Live apart: Any couple can, at any time, decide to live apart during a marriage. You don’t need a court order to physically separate. You can seek orders of child custody, child support and spousal support while still married and living separately, but you cannot have your assets and debts divided by a court in this situation — although, it is possible to obtain an order that gives you sole occupancy of the marital residency.
  • Legal separation: A legal separation keeps your marriage legally intact, but decides all the issues that would be involved in a divorce, including child custody, child support, alimony, and property and debt distribution. The court directs that you will separate and apart — however, you will legally remain married.
  • Annulment: An annulment is a decision by the court that the marriage was not legally entered into. This can include: being related to each other in a way prohibited by law, already being married to someone else, one party was legally incompetent and unable to enter into marriage lawfully, a problem with the marriage license or ceremony so that the marriage was not legal, one person entered the marriage under fraud or duress, or one spouse misrepresented important facts (such as not being able to have marital relations). An annulment ends the marriage and legally erases it, as if it never happened. Custody, child support, alimony, and property and debt division can be decided by the court, if necessary. A religious annulment is a completely different process.
  • Divorce: A divorce legally dissolves and ends a marriage. Custody, child support, alimony, and property debt division are decided by the court.


If you are considering ending your high-net-worth marriage in Connecticut, talk to the attorneys at Rutkin, Oldham & Griffin.

send an email to the blog administrator

Your email is never published nor shared. Required fields are marked *



Contact Us

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.