David W. Griffin
Greenwich and Westport, Connecticut divorce lawyer
David W. Griffin is a partner at Rutkin, Oldham & Griffin, LLC. David has dedicated his 32-year career to assisting clients through divorce, custody, relocation and asset distribution, including alimony and support issues arising from complicated compensation structures and high net worth families.
Financial and real estate issues in Connecticut divorces
David started his career at a commercial law firm in New Haven, Connecticut after which he served as general counsel of a large regional real estate development firm with projects throughout New England and Florida. His business knowledge helps him understand and structure assets for high-net-worth individuals. In addition, he understands how commercial and residential land use, zoning, leasing, lending, construction and sales issues affect valuation in matrimonial property cases. With his advanced skills in Internet, social media and e-discovery, he understands computer systems, social media systems and networks to conduct meticulous discovery.
As former chairman of the Boards of Directors and Trustees of The Waterbury Hospital, David served on and/or chaired the Executive Committee, Finance Committee, Audit Committee, Governance and Nominating Committee, Executive Compensation Committee and CEO Search Committee, and as the board liaison to the Medical Staff Executive Committee. He also was a member of the Waterbury Hospital Network Affiliation/Merger Task Force and a secretary of the Network and Hospital corporations. This rewarding experience of handling budgets and financial reports in the hundreds of millions of dollars has also proved beneficial to clients, for whom he effectively reviews tax returns, balance sheets, income statements and other complicated financial documents.
Family law publications and speaking engagements
David’s most recent article, published in the Summer of 2014 in the prestigious Journal of the American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers, is entitled, “Earning Capacity and Imputing Income for Child Support Calculations: A Survey of Law and Outline of Practice Tips.” This comprehensive article leads sophisticated practitioners through the complicated body of law on how to litigate an earning capacity case – that is – a case when one parent fails or refuses to earn income up to the full amount they are capable of earning. David’s article “It's Nearly Always About the House" — concerning real estate issues in divorce — was published in the Spring 2010 issue of the American Bar Association Section of Family Law’s publication Family Advocate. In April of 2014, David made a presentation at the AICPA-AAML National Conference on Divorce in Las Vegas, on the topic of “Valuation, Protection and Treatment of an Owner’s Dilutable Interest in a Rapidly Growing Business.” In May of 2014, David made a presentation in New York City at the USA-Canada Chapter Meeting of the International Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers, on the topic of “Data Acquisition and Digital Forensics (What Every Lawyer Should Know).” David also spoke on the topic of business valuation at the Annual Meeting of the American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers, held in November of 2014 in Chicago. The State of Connecticut Judicial Branch invited David to present "What to Expect at the Regional Family Trial Docket" and "How to Encourage and Assist Parents in Reaching Agreement in the Best Interests of the Minor Children" as part of its guardian ad litem training course. He has also taught continuing legal education seminar on the Hague Convention and the Uniform Child Custody Jurisdiction and Enforcement Act.
David donates significant time as a Special Master at the Connecticut Regional Family Trial Docket, the high-conflict custody court established by the State of Connecticut, helping families try to resolve their cases by agreement, rather than by conflict. He comes from a family that is dedicated to the legal profession — his father was an attorney for more than 60 years and both of his brothers are attorneys. David became a licensed private pilot in 1985. He is the proud father of two children and two stepchildren.
Learn how a Connecticut divorce attorney with 32 years of experience can help you
Consult Connecticut divorce attorney David Griffin for the help you need. Call the Rutkin, Oldham & Griffin, LLC Westport office at 203-227-7301 or our Greenwich office at 203-869-7277 or contact David online to schedule your consultation.
- Connecticut, 1983
- U.S. District Court, District of Connecticut
- J.D., University of Houston Law Center, 1983
- B.A., Ithaca College, 1979
Professional associations and memberships
- Fellow, American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers
- Member and Co-chair of the National Test Committee
- Member and Co-chair of the AAML/AICPA National Divorce Conference Committee
- Member and Co-chair of the 2016 National CLE Committee
- Member and Vice-chair - Sponsorship Committee
- Member - AAML/AFCC Conference Joint Planning Committee (2014-2015)
- Fellow, International Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers
- Fellow, Connecticut Chapter of the American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers, Member, Board of Managers
- Co-Chair, Connecticut Child Support Guidelines Commission, 2014 – 2015; Member 2012 – 2015
- Connecticut Bar Association - Member, Family Law Section
- Chair, Family Law Section, Connecticut Bar Association 2015 – 2016
- Member, Executive Committee, Family Law Section
- Treasurer, Family Law Section 2011 – 2012
- Secretary, Family Law Section 2012 – 2013
- CLE Chair, Family Law Section 2013– 2014
- Vice Chair Family Law Section 2014– 2015
- Member, Board of Editors, Connecticut Family Lawyer 2011 – present
- American Bar Association, Member, Family Law Section
- Greenwich Bar Association
- Fairfield County Bar Association
- Waterbury Bar Association - Former Chair, Family Law Section
- State of Connecticut Guardian Ad Litem/Attorney for Minor Children Training Course 2010, Instructor, 2009 – present
Awards and recognition
- Ten Leaders, named one of Ten Leaders in Divorce Law
- Super Lawyers™ 2011 – present
- The Best Lawyers in America, 2013 - present
- Top Attorneys in Connecticut 2012– present
- David Griffin to Co-Chair and Present at the 2016 National Conference on Divorce. Read More